February 8, 2010

Boulder Reservoir Long Run.

Mile 12.2 at 2:35 into the run. You want flat, I'll give you flat.
Before the Moab Half Marathon 13.2 miles, I need to have a consistent base of longer miles, in the 15- to 16-mile range. The Coach has returned me to building toward that, this week advising 14 miles.

Once again seeking to cover those miles without the additional challenge of terrain and elevation gains, I returned to the flatlands of Boulder prairie. The distance around Boulder Reservoir is just over five miles--that seemed to be a good starting point. Twice around would be ten, and I thought I'd add on a couple of loops around the adjoining Eagle Trail / Boulder Valley Ranch--four more miles, give or take.

I'd forgotten the aircraft collision from Saturday, exactly in this location.

Discovering the area closed, when I began my run I had plenty of ponder and appreciate about the joys of a run in the snow.

For distance I added the Coot Lake loop each time around. Total distance: 14.09 m.

Three inches of new snow on the ground and more gently falling as I ran, it was a soft, quiet run, a good day for my screwshoes. A soft footfall is easy on the knees, but as anyone knows who has run on a sandy beach, hell on the legs. With a few dog-walkers on the trail and only four other runners, for the most part the snow was deep and untrammeled.

By the end of 14 miles I was damned tired. I've certainly done easier miles.

[late addition: I just recalled I donated blood on Thursday. In the past this has understandably influenced my running for some time afterwards.]

My HRave, at 131, was slightly higher than my other long runs; my pace, at 12:47, slightly slower--though both within the range I was aiming for. I also discovered an important lesson about digestion. I've learned from closer observation and unhappy experience to limit my intake of roughage like berries and seeds on my days of long runs. Fueling for this run I had my usual peanut-butter and jam sandwich, but foolishly opted for the crunchy rather than the smooth peanut butter. For a short run I'd have been ok. A three-hour run? Forget it. Emergency stop in the bushes.

One other observation: it occurred to me that I should be making better notes on how to dress for different weather conditions. Temps were in the low to mid 20s for this run, and I wore thermal uppers and lowers, running shorts and a long-sleeve running shirt over the top. No jacket. Gloves and a hat, of course, and kerchief around my neck. Though I could feel the breeze through the layers, I was never cool and perspiration evaporated at a comfortable pace. In other words, just about right for the conditions.

I slept well last night.

for full viewing, click on the image. 

No comments: