April 18, 2010

Long run to Crisman.

A light rain at the lake just below Poorman Road.
This week's long run, per Coach, was 14 miles. I was ready to return to the terrain of the mountains.

Starting from my locker room at 13th and Arapahoe Ave in Boulder, I headed up Boulder Canyon 3.2 m to the juncture with Four Mile Canyon, turned north for another 3.8 miles to Chrisman, a one-time mining town along the Switzerland Trail of America narrow-gauge railroad line.

Because it's along the RR line, I know it to be a maximum 4% grade, except in one section where the road veers to the upper flank of the mountain while the ROW follows the valley floor.

I ran the upper stretch of this route last January, starting at the mouth of Four Mile Canyon, so I knew I'd handle the grade just fine. Once again, though, I found myself pleasantly surprised by just how easy the run was for me.

[It's worth commenting here that in the interim, I also made a blood donation at Bonfils that significantly impaired my cardio capacity. One of these days I really have to post that journal entry that languishes in my Draft folder. So it was a particularly sweet run for me to be back in full stride on this run.]

I cruised along at a good pace with my HR staying in the low to mid 120's, feeling like I was out for a Sunday stroll. I could have pushed my pace harder, but continued to remind myself that the long run is supposed to be slow.

The return trip was actually more challenging, with the gravity-induced pounding. Striving to keep my pace/HR within the same ranges required me to be essentially putting the brakes on for much of the trip--if I had surrendered to the pull of the downhill at a certain point I'm sure I would have tumbled head-over-heels with inability to maintain footspeed.

Two details I failed to plan intelligently for: hydrating and abrasion. As for the first, I went off for the run without my water bottles, which I discovered within the first mile of starting off when I saw another runner carrying a bottle. I could have gone back to Whole Foods and bought a bottle of water, but couldn't figure out how I'd easily carry it in the small waist pack I wear. So I decided to tough it out and take it easy. I knew as well it would be a cool run--cloud cover that eventually turned to rain at mile 8.

For these long runs I have to remember to wear NipGuards. By the end of 14 miles my chest and shirt were a bloody mess, running shower water over me was an excruciating experience, and putting street clothes on left me wishing I had a concave chest. Not pleasant. Especially when I have a remedy easily available, if I just remember to use it.

So my cardio capacity seems excellent for 7m uphill and 7m down, my leg strength was easily up to the task, but the downhill pounding and the shirt fabric on bare skin left me tired and sore. Nothing that some good rehydrating and protein mix, Vitamin I and a few drops of Arnica didn't take care of. Oh, and a few strategically placed dabs of AquaPhor.

I should also say that much of the pleasure of this particular route is the joy I have in making connection with Switzerland Trail locations and lore. I journal elsewhere on this, but it's worth noting here how much I enjoyed studying the exact ROW for the historic sites. Exploring the site and making images of the view from the road at Chrisman, I met a 60-year resident who has agreed to visit with me further when I have the time (not in the middle of a long run).

A hugely successful day.
I've passed by this lake scores of times without ever noticing it. A jewel hidden in the trees.

No comments: