January 8, 2013

Training: Run Less Run Faster


Settling into a regular 3x week pattern again, and I'm beginning to trust that the plantar fasciitis is healed. There's a bit of enforcement here, reminding me regularly to expand slowly--good on all counts: pf, muscular-skeletal, cardiovascular. Three miles (5K) per run maximum, so far.

GOAL: Jackson Hole Marathon, September 22, 2013. I've made motel reservations.

Stair stepping:
March  10K
June     Half Marathon
Sept     Full Marathon

A great time to give the RLRF program a test, though with each program being 12 weeks long this is a tight schedule. Perhaps too tight for this time frame: there's no room for slacking off. I may or may not be able to fit the Half in and may have to go from 10K directly to Marathon, with some weeks of long runs between cycles to build up my base. Or perhaps replace the Marathon with the Half, for this year. We'll see what caution leads to.

From 10+ years of success with three runs per week, I'm comfortable with the concept. And my experience has taught me that running alone doesn't do that much--I need to add speed workouts, hill climbing, endurance runs if I'm going to continue to learn, grow and enjoy what I'm doing.

This research-based program appeals to the analytic approach I appear to thrive on in my athletic life. I find great pleasure in tracking data from each and every time I run, bike or swim.

I'll be the test-case for Morggan and Malachi, each of whom has put this on their training agenda as something to look into. In fact, they're the men who introduced me to the materials. Where I am in life leaves me in a good place to give it a try, with flexibility and availability of time, resources, energy.

First step will be outlining the precise training plan for the next 12 weeks. Studying the materials, I find it to be much more explicit and detailed than just a general "run three different kinds of runs each week." Many of the pages of the book are devoted to tables, and the prescriptions are specific for each day of the week, each week of the cycle.

Plus this: cross-training on two days of week is equally crucial to success, just as detailed in the programming. I've selected biking as my primary activity, rowing as secondary.

At this moment it feels right to launch the 10K program. We'll see if my present level of fitness will allow that amount of stress, or whether I've already committed myself to a step too large. I'm prepared to shift to the 5K program, and will watch carefully.

No comments: