March 15, 2014

Budd Coates, Running on Air

Here's what I wrote in my review of the book on Goodreads:

+++++++++   If you have one good idea and you share it with the world, you've paid some of the dues you owe for your time in this world.

Here's a coach that has one good idea, and it's simple, effective and not at all intuitive.

When you're running, with each step breathe in three times, out two.

I suppose if you want people to take the idea seriously you have to write a book about it, back it up with some scientific-sounding language, give it an historical context, elaborate on the benefits.

Credit to Budd Coates for paying attention to his own experience as a runner, thinking it through, sharing his learning with the world. Maybe he'll get a few bucks from selling a book about it.

But as a reader, keep your expectations modest about what you might gain from reading the book.

Give the idea an honest effort for a week or so of running, long enough for it to be built into your muscle memory, and write your own book. Be prepared to learn, to enjoy your running in new ways, pick up your pace with no increase in effort, expose yourself to less risk of injury.

Not bad for a single idea.   +++++++++

I've since incorporated the technique completely and intuitively into my every run. On another post I'll go into more detail on my many observations.

For now what I will say is this:

This idea has a permanent place in the top five things I've learned about running.

No comments: