February 25, 2018

A New Running World.

 My life and my energies are nourished by being close to nature, with plenty of time for silence and uninterrupted experiences. As I've grown older I've realized how important it is for me to take things at my own pace, or at whatever pace they naturally unfold.

As I've recognized for years, time and deadlines are the great stress factors in my life. Without that dimension, most experiences are adventures to be explored, savored, allowed to wash over me.

Life in Boulder County is moving in a direction that allows less and less of that introspective opportunity. It's a beautiful, exciting place to live and visit, and I'm not alone in watching it being loved to death.

Our new home is in the far north of Colorado, 35 miles northwest of Fort Collins, not far from the village of Red Feather Lakes.

Here are some images from my inaugural run around the central area.

I've taken a break from running for a few months, partly with the demands of moving our residence and research center, partly to give my knees a rest.

In 25 years of running, like all runners I've had a variety of injuries, aches, and pains develop and require attention. When I did the City of Oaks Marathon I experienced my first knee pains, after a five-mile uphill stretch about mile 18. It quieted down with rest, and only occasionally has flared since that time.

Then last year it began talking to me again, always after an uphill stretch or a lot of stair-climbing.

Now I'm back on the roads and trails, knee strong. My cardio conditioning has remained remarkably strong, with not nearly as much deterioration as I had anticipated.

I'm at 12 miles per week, aiming to build back to 20-25 miles per week, my ideal schedule. Though I'm also throwing into the deal more hiking, with weekly mileage right now about 15.

Hiking? One of my sons has discovered the Teddy Roosevelt/JFK 50-mile Hike Challenge, and I'm hooked on the idea. 50 miles in 20 hours. (Another son puts in the added spec of carrying a 50-lb pack, but that's another story, one I'm not so hooked on.)

No comments: