April 23, 2014

Mountain Hiker.

Roosevelt National Forest, Colorado.
Though it's fun to post a good time on an event, and though good event times give me validating feedback for sustained, intelligent training and effort, I can't say I run primarily for speed. Were it so, I'd have arrived at different conclusions from exploring the Run Less Run Faster model.

No, what I come back to again and again is that I run to be outside, to breathe the fresh air, to soak in the glory of this beautiful world. Running simply helps me explore more territory than walking.

At the same time, often Less is More. As much as I enjoy running, love the rhythm, the chugachug breathing, the feel of muscles moving and feet pounding, I admit to some frustration when I'm on a mountain trail--which is of course my favorite running. The frustration comes from the focus required to stay upright without twisting an ankle. Trails are, after all and by definition, unfinished surfaces. In the Rocky Mountains, that means they are rocky.

Rolling Creek, Julie Kruger.
So when I run I watch the trail. At the same time, as a runner I'm scanning my body, my breathing, monitoring my effort. While I'm moving I miss out on perhaps 80% of the beautiful world I've immersed myself in.

As one of countless examples, at Caribou Ranch Open Space there is a segment where I am acutely aware
of this challenge. The east loop returning to the DeLonde Ranch from Bluebird Mine parallels the North Boulder Creek as it cascades down from the Arapahoe Glacier and the City of Boulder watershed. The trail follows a gracefully curving contour snaking gently downhill, through scattered chokecherry and rocky mountain maple trees, under magnificent ponderosa pines. The fragrance is heavenly. Beautiful.

But not for a runner. Treacherous is the word that comes to mind. Dance lightly, attentively, through and between and over the tops of scattered boulders. Run like the water of the stream. The entire distance. Take your choice, if you're a runner: enjoy the scenery, or enjoy the run. On any given run, you'll discover quickly which one you want to do.

All of this is prelude to what I'm saying today: on my cross-training days I've been truly loving hiking in these glorious mountains and forests.

Less speed = More awareness.

Pretty good tradeoff when you live in paradise.

Comanche Peak, Tom Fischer.

No comments: